Hockey is one of the most physical, fast-paced sports of the season. And if you want to add even more excitement to game night, betting is the way to do it.
Now that hockey betting in Maryland is legal, you’re spoilt for choice with your odds and lines. Pro sportsbooks present an extensive menu of hockey odds. In addition, live in-game betting has never been more dynamic.
So if you’re ready to make a buck off the puck, we’re showing you how to do it.
Hockey betting in Maryland: 6 quick steps to getting started
Getting started with hockey betting in Maryland is a straightforward process. The trick is getting it right. So, if you just want the basics, here they are:
Quick Tip: You can skip to a section by clicking on any step.
- Choose a sportsbook
- Set up your account
- Choose your line
Hockey betting in Maryland: Choose a sportsbook
There are several key elements that make up a good sportsbook. First, it’s got to be legal and trustworthy. You can check reviews to confirm this.
From there, we want an online bookmaker that:
- Protects our private information
- Handles our deposits properly
- Pays out promptly
- Takes customer service seriously
- Offers good odds and extensive hockey betting lines
We’re not asking for much, right?
So let’s break down what you should be checking for a way before the credit card leaves your wallet.
Research the website for a good Hockey sportsbook in MD
Checking in-house can save a lot of stress further down the track. Right now, you’re looking at the basics of a hockey betting site.
Does it have a padlock in the URL toolbar?
That means it’s running either SSL or TLS encryption. Your data is safe here.
What payment methods does it accept?
Major credit/debit cards should be ok. Maybe it accepts PayPal or another mainstream eWallet. You shouldn’t need to set up an account with a company you don’t know in order to deposit funds.
What are the withdrawal terms?
Every sportsbook sets its own minimum and maximum withdrawal limits and often a transfer fee. They should also be able to estimate how long it takes to process your withdrawal. Finally, do they have fast payouts to credit and debit cards, eWallets, or PayPal? If the only option is to check, this might be a red flag.
Do they offer good lines and odds?
Since you’re betting hockey, you want good hockey betting odds. Therefore, you should also expect extensive betting lines—the types of bets you can wager on.
Can you talk to them?
Things can go wrong. You get locked out of the site. You can’t see a deposit. Your bonus doesn’t seem to be loading correctly. If it happens, you need a sportsbook that can resolve the issue fast. So does the sportsbook’s Contact Us page list:
- A contact phone number with available hours
- An email address or contact form
- A live chat function
Try these on for size
- DraftKings: Long hailed as one of the best in the hockey betting market, DK delivers a seamless app, good UI, top-tier lines, and solid moneyline and puck line odds. Best for: Bonuses
- BetMGM: Part of Vegas royalty brand MGM, BetMGM offers super-fast verification, great bonuses, smart odds, and a solid betting menu. Best for: Fast payouts
- FanDuel: Some of the most entertaining prop bets out there, good deposit match rewards, and a streamlined app on multiple platforms. Best for: Live In-Game betting.
- PointsBet: Top-of-the-line hockey markets, a great daily betting menu, and excellent odds. It’s easy to see why the NHL teamed up with this sportsbook as an Official Sports Betting Partner. Best for: Stanley Cup futures odds.
- Barstool Sportsbook: Barstool may be younger than some of the other sportsbooks, but it’s dynamic. Keen insight into hockey news, top-rated analysis, good odds, and a strong prop bets menu. Best for: Moneyline and puck line betting.
Hockey Betting in Maryland: Set Up Your Account
Whichever sportsbooks you choose in the end, you’ll need to set up an account on each. In addition, you’ll need to provide some personal info (now you know why we were harping on about safety up there).
- Proof of identity: passport or driver’s license
- Date of birth
- Last four digits of your social security number
- Proof of address: utility bill, medical statement, or bank statement in your name
- Alternatively, they may ask you to turn on geolocation on your device so they can confirm you are physically in Maryland when you register your account.
It usually takes less than 30 minutes to verify your account.
Hockey Betting in Maryland: Deposit Funds
You know those payment methods we were talking about here? Now is when those come in handy. You’ll need to top up that brand new hockey betting account before you can use it.
This should be instant.
Hockey Betting in Maryland: Research Your Hockey Betting Picks
You’ll want to fine-tune your hockey betting strategy over time. Even the professionals (we call them sharp money) evolve their betting models.
But here are some tips to refer to as you build your hockey betting strategy.
- Understand the metrics. Learning how hockey is handicapped gives you more leverage as a bettor. It can also boost your win rate. To get a good overall view of the game, look at the teams’ goals per game average and goals-against average. To dig a little deeper, check out starting goalies and hot/cold streaks.
- Stay neutral. Don’t base your betting strategy on the team with the best uniform or the famous goalie. Bet smartly by using your head, and not your heart, when you lay your wager down.
- Watch the goalies. Run side-by-side comparisons of each team’s goalie.
- Watch for injuries. Hockey teams stay pretty quiet when it comes to player injuries—and for a good reason. Do some digging, though, because injuries have a major impact on team performance.
Hockey Betting in Maryland: Choose Your Line
When it comes to placing a wager, you’ve got a lot of lines to choose from in hockey. Whatever floats your boat when your team hits the ice, there’s probably a way to bet on it.
A straight moneyline bet calls the winning team. However, if you want to be more precise, you can also call the winner at the end of the third period—that’s a 60-minute line.
This is hockey’s version of a point spread. You make the call as to whether your team will win or lose by (usually) 1.5 goals.
You’ve got two options. The first is calling over or under the total number of goals in one game. For example, if oddsmakers set the total at 7.5, you choose if the total goals will be over that number or equal and under.
The second is a Grand Salami (worth doing just to say the name). It works like the first example, except you’re betting on the total for every game played that day/night. Harder to execute but lucrative if you do it right.
Betting on the result of a future event—like the winner of the Stanley Cup.
Here’s where people get a little crazy. You can bet on anything related to gameplay, from a first goal to a suspension or a thrown elbow. Some sportsbooks even encourage you to create your own propositions.
Live In-Game Bets
Unlike most lines, where the betting closes before gameplay begins, live betting happens after the game has started.
It’s high-pressure, high-stakes, high-rewards betting—and it’s a lot of fun if you know what to watch for. It’s also a good way for new bettors to test their strategy.
Hockey parlays use a single wager on multiple teams. If you’ve heard the betting term accumulator, that’s what we’re talking about. The more moneylines that are involved in a parlay bet, the higher your potential payout. But, if you call one of the games wrong, you’ll lose it all.
Hockey Betting in Maryland: Place your wager
It’s time to place your bet.
The layouts might vary slightly from one sportsbook to another, but you’ll have most of the same options.
- Navigate to the hockey betting page
- Filter by league and event (if needed)
- Find the odds you like
From there, it’s a matter of adding a bet to your virtual bet slip and confirming your wager. So confirm your bets, and settle in—you’re officially a hockey bettor now.
FAQ’s About Hockey betting in Maryland
What are the most common bets in hockey – Maryland?
Moneylines, puck lines, and totals are the most popular. Of course, prop betting is a lot of fun, too.
Which hockey games can I bet on in MD?
Now that hockey betting is legal in Maryland, you can bet on hockey events worldwide. The NHL and AHL easily offer the widest variety of lines.
Can I bet on who will win the Stanley Cup in Maryland?
Yes. You’re looking for futures odds.
Why does it matter if a sportsbook has SSL or TLS?
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) are encryption protocols to secure your information. They protect the site against tampering. For example, if a sportsbook isn’t encrypted, your information isn’t safe.
Do any sportsbooks let me withdraw my winnings via online banking in MD?
BetMGM, PointsBet, and FanDuel allow ACH transfers. For information on other sportsbooks, check their FAQ pages.